We recently wrote an in-depth article about why background checks can sometimes take so long. There are many reasons for delays—and most are beyond a background check vendor's control.
The good news?
There are ways to boost background check turnaround time.
1. Say Bye to Paper for Good.
If you're still conducting any part of the background check process on paper, stop! Paper slows things down considerably, and paper processes are simply unnecessary in the year 2020.
Plus, consider the following points:
- When it comes to something as delicate as background checks, accuracy is essential. If you're still using paper, think of all the time that's wasted trying to decipher someone's handwriting on written forms and fixing data entry mistakes.
- Your Gen X, Millennial, and Gen Z candidates will be skeptical and downright annoyed if they have to do things on paper. In such a tight labor market, you can't afford to lose good talent simply because your hiring methods are antiquated.
- Technology already exists to help streamline your process. One of the best things you can do is integrate your applicant tracking system (ATS) with your background check vendor's system.
If any part of your hiring process—particularly background checks—still operates on paper, make it a goal to go paperless in 2020. (Good Egg can help—it's not as daunting of a task as you might think!)
2. Implement Candidate Text Messaging.
Most people are attached to their phones, especially Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z. As such, people are much more likely to respond to—and act on—a text rather than a phone call or even an email, and this is proving to be especially true for background checks.
A simple way to boost turnaround time in 2020 is implementing candidate text messaging in your background check process.
Here are the results some of Good Egg's customers have seen after implementing candidate text messaging:
- QUICK INVITE: Background checks that are initiated via text complete 76% faster than email. It takes a candidate 14 hours to start the background check via text message as opposed to 31 hours via email.
- DRUG TESTING AND OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH SCREENS: Drug testing and occupational health screens are completed 14.5% faster when communicating with candidates via text message. Without text messaging, it takes 3.5 days to complete, on average. With text messaging, it takes 3 days to complete.
- VERIFICATIONS: By contacting references via text message, Good Egg has been able to decrease the time it takes to complete verifications by 13%.
3. Seek Superior Customer Service.
Yes, great background check technology matters. But when you have a question about something as sensitive as a person's criminal history check or the results of an employment drug test, you need to be able to reach a human being quickly.
Never underestimate the importance of excellent customer service and background check turnaround time. Here's what to keep in mind when selecting a vendor:
- Look for the personal touch. The human touch is critical to an exceptional background check experience, and that is what truly separates a fly-by-night vendor (like some of those "instant" cheap checks you can order online) and a quality background check company.
- Work with a background check service provider who treats you like a partner. This means they take the time to understand your business—and its specific needs (because employee screening isn't a one-size-fits-all solution)—and they put a package together that meets those needs (instead of just peddling the products it wants to sell).
- Pay attention to how often your partner reaches out. A true partner is proactive. They talk to you regularly. They anticipate your needs. They bring suggestions to the table for making the process better/more efficient.
- Check the background check company's reviews. It's easy for a business to claim it's the best background check company. But real reviews written by real people tend to be revealing.
Want to improve your company's background check process in 2020—and beyond? Get in touch!